Assignment 3 + 4

 In-Process Images 






Final Mold 



Uploading: 98250 of 3527437 bytes uploaded.



Uploading: 851500 of 3425788 bytes uploaded.




Artist Statement

Making a mold of a toy is overall a time consuming project, that takes countless hours to get the completed look that is intended. When I first started brainstorming for this project, the idea of replicating a lego came to mind because the attachment I have to them. Growing up with legos has always stuck with me and become a tradition in my family which is why I had first chose to make the toy. The toy making process is also something I have been interested in, and by going through with this project has showed me how tedious it is for the people who sculpt the toys.  I spent 3 nights in the art department working the first part of the assignment sculpting the batman itself. Sculpting it was a fun experience and took a lot more time than I had intended because of the amount of detail that is in the original toy. The mold is where things started to become more difficult because of how detailed the lego is. Some of the details weren't translating into the mold or were completely disappearing entirely. At that point I had been coming into the studio more frequently to figure out the best course of action for my plaster mold because nothing seemed to be working. The silicone mold became the best option but, I still didn't manage to get it the correct way which left me with a flat mold that I stacked on top of each other to make my final sculpture. 
The end product may have not turned out the way I wanted it to but the learning process of this provided me with a new way to address both sculpture and toy making. 


Comments

Popular Posts